Today I have a delicious elegant winter comfort food for you to try. This recipe is such a fool proof one pot recipe that everyone can recreate.
You can also play around with the flavors and use ginger for example to add a little spiciness to the risotto or add some parmesan (if you’re not vegan) to make it even more creamy!
I’m excited for you guys to try it out! So let’s get started.
- half of a medium red kuri squash
- 1 large onion
- 2 small carrots
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 0,5 liters of water (optionally stock) or more if needed
- 150ml plant based milk
- 350g risotto rice
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- First of all cut up the pumpkin into large cubes, wash and cut up the carrots roughly, slice the onion and crush the garlic.
- Heat up a large pot on medium high heat. Add the cut up onions and garlic. Stir for a few minutes before adding the carrots and pumpkin. Fry everything for 5min, so that everything becomes fragrant.
- Once everything is fragrant, add the water and let everything cook with the pot covered on low heat until soft. Prick with a fork to check its consistency. Once soft, take it from the heat and puree/mix everything into a smooth soup, leaving no chunks. Add the plant based milk and mix well.
- Now add the washed risotto rice to the mixture. Let it cook covered with the lid for 30min or so, or until the rice is cooked/soft. Make sure to stir and check every few minutes, so that the bottom doesn’t burn. Feel free to add as much water as necessary, every time the mixture looks too dry.
- Once the rice is done, season with salt, pepper, rosemary and a splash of olive oil. Serve hot and garnish with some balsamic vinegar and pumpkin seeds.