Once again it’s been too long since I last shared a recipe with you guys. This time I’m sharing one that I’ve made quite a few times in the last months. This recipe is inspired by a supermarket to-go food we had gotten while travelling in the UK back in February.
I love to get inspired from foods eat while out. Most of the tome I thing to myself: “Wow this is really delicious and you could totally make this yourself!” So I take a picture to remember and try to recreate it back home. Here is the picture I took back in Oxford:
I love how simple this recipe is and HOW MUCH PROTEIN there is in this. There is Protein in the quinoa, in the white and kidney beans (you can use any beans you like) and in the cashew nuts. And then topped off with healthy dark greens in the broccoli. Also not to forget: THE SAUCE. The sweetness and the savoury umami-ness of the home made teriyaki sauce! ugh, just amazing! Can you tell I’m hungry writing this blog post? 😀
And to the broccoli, I’m using frozen broccoli for convenience, but you can use fresh broccoli as well, wash and cut it, and then use the same method to steam it.
So here we go, here is the recipe:
- 125g Quinoa
- 2 Carrots
- 1 Spring Onion
- 1 can of White Beans (250g)
- 1/2 can of Kidney Beans (125g)
- 300g Frozen Broccoli ( or 500g of Fresh Broccoli)
- 100g Cashew Nuts
- 3 tbsp Soy Sauce
- 3 tbsp Olive oil
- 2 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 tsp garlic powder (or 1 clove of fresh garlic)
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp honey
- Wash the Quinoa thoroughly and cook according to package instructions. When done, drain and set aside.
- In the mean time cut the carrots into quarters length wise and then cut into cubes. Cut the spring onion into thin slices. Set aside.
- After the Quinoa is done cooking, steam the broccoli by placing it into a pot with 3/4 inch (2cm) worth of water. Steam for a few minutes until it reaches the desired consistency.
- In a large bowl combine the cooked Quinoa, cut carrots, spring onion, white and kindey beans and cashew nuts. Set aside
- Combine all the sauce ingredients in a small bowl and mix well.
- Pour the sauce over the cut up ingredients, mix and top off with the cooked broccoli.
Hope you enjoy the recipe, if you did, make sure to like and share with a friend 🙂