have you ever craved a delicious AUTHENTIC New York Style Bagel? With thick layers of cream cheese, smoked salmon and tomato? Or with some goat cream cheese with honey and fresh fig? But you don’t have any good and authentic bagels near you?
Why don’t you just make your own? 😉
It is so much easier than you think and you know what my motto is: health is home made. So in my opinion, anything home made is healthier than the store bought version. Also you can easily adjust the taste to your liking.
for example I like to eat whole grain bread. So I like to make my bagels whole grain, like this recipe is. also you can vary your toppings. Add sesame, flax seeds, pumpkin seed, poppy seed… anything you prefer.
The secret to authentic recipes is to cook the bagel. Yes you heard right. The bagels are cooked before they are baked. It gives it that slightly crunchy outside and soft chewy inside.
Also I wanted to share with you my absolute favorite bagel filling! A super authentic New York Style filling. To see what I add, click the video or here.
There you have it, there are pretty much no reasons not to make these delicious bagels your Sunday brunch staple! 🙂
- 250g plain flour
- 250g whole grain flour
- 7g of dry yeast
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 300ml warm water maybe more
- more flour to knead
- topping: sesame seeds, flax seeds, pumpkin seeds, or any other
- If you need to activate the dry yeast, add the yeast with the sugar to 100ml of the warm water (not too hot, of the yeast will die). Let it sit for 5 minutes and then stir to combine. (if you don’t need to activate the yeast, just mix it with the flour
- Mix the flour and salt in a large mixing bowl, make a well in the middle and pour in the yeast liquid. Stir gently and add the rest of the water as needed.
- When a shaggy dough has formed, tip it onto a floured work surface and knead the dough with a pull and fold motion, working in as much dough as possible. Knead for at least 10 minutes.
- Add a bit of oil into a large mixing bowl and then place the dough in there to rest. Cover with a damp tea towel and let it rise in a warm place for an hour. (or longer if it’s colder. The dough should double in size.
- When the dough has doubled, punch it down and divide it into 8 even pieces. Gently roll it into a bowl and poke your thumb through the middle and gently shape the bagel. Place them on a baking sheet and let it rise covered with the damp towel for another 20min. Preheat your oven to 220°C/425°F.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and the reduce the heat. Add the bagels 2 to 3 at a time with a skimmer. Let it boil for about 1.5 minutes on each side. Take them out and place them on a baking sheet. This is the point to add your toppings. Gently press them on top.
- Bake for 20min or until golden brown. Let it cool slightly and then top with your favorite bagel topping! Enjoy!