My sweetheart and I love ourselves some burger. Good ol’ fashioned with medium beef in all kinds of varieties. But one day, I craved something different. I decided to make a chickpea patty for a little change in our game.
And despite being a classic meat and burger lover, this chickpea patty blew my socks off! It tasted amazing along with spices like curry. I made sure to make it vegan for all the vegans out there and as healthy as possible. So I added lots of oats instead of bread crumbs to fill our bellies with healthier nutrients.
I dare you to make this burger and try the most amazing vegan patty out there!
for the vegan patty
- 530g canned chickpeas
- 60ml vegetable oil (I used thistle oil)
- 1/2 finely chopped onion
- 1/2 tbsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp curry spice
- 200g oats and extra for coating
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
for the burger
- 4 burger buns
- 1/2 onion into thin rings
- 2 sliced tomatoes
- sauce of your liking (I drizzled some ketchup on top)
- Pulse the chickpeas with oil in a food processor, leaving chunks of chickpeas whole. (I used a hand-held mixer, just because I don’t have a food processor, which works as well, but is so much more harder! Highly suggest a food processor or this:AEG PerfectMix SB 2400 Mini Mixer)
- Season the patty with parsley, salt, pepper and curry spice. Add the onion, oats and lemon juice. Mix well with spoon or hand.
- Form 4 large patties and coat the outside with more oats.
- Heat a large skillet with a generous amount of oil. Place in the patties when the oil is hot and fry until golden brown and slightly crispy on the outside.
- Serve hot with toasted buns, and the remaining hamburger ingredients.