Stop what you are doing right now and picture this. In front of you, you have sitting there a roll of pure heaven. The soft and fluffy cake with delicious mascarpone cream filling (non of that store-bought, 100% disgusting fake-cream). Sprinkled with bursts of strawberry sweetness. Like your taking a bite of a rainbow.
My friends, this is no fantasy! Make this strawberry cinnamon swiss roll and I promise you will be experiencing all the above! I made this on a whim, after a day of studying and putting off making this cake. And let be tell you, I wish I had made it sooner!
What are you waiting for! Drop your laptops and start baking!
for the cake:
- 2 large eggs
- 75g fine sugar
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 50g all-purpose flour
- pinch of baking powder
- pich of salt
- dash of nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
for the filling:
- 30g sugar
- 400g strawberries
- 70g whipped cream
- 125g mascarpone
- Preheat the oven to 180°c fan.
- Mix the egg yolks and sugar for about 5min until thick. Add the oil and mix well. Sieve in the spices, flour and baking powder and fold carefully.
- In a separate Bowl mix egg whites until stiff and carefully fold into the egg yolk mixture.
- Spread the batter onto a lined baking tray. Be careful not to work the batter too much and burst all the air inside. spread to a about 3cm thickness.
- Bake for 12min. The bake is done when it springs back to touch. Lay the cake top-down onto a clean cloth and carefully peel back the backing paper. Roll up the cake into the swiss roll form and let it cool.
- cut the strawberries into small pieces and cover with sugar. Mix well and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, mix the cream and mascarpone until stiff.
- combine the strawberries with the cream mixture. Unroll the Cake and spread the filling on top. (Make sure to leave about 3cm of the edge clean, otherwise the cream will spill out when assembling)
- Roll up the swiss roll and chill for at least 2 hours before serving.