It truly is getting more and more winter-esque everyday here in Germany. And I’m already counting the days to being able to play Christmas music, bake Christmas cookies and strolling through Christmas markets! But for now, I’ll will just have to make the best of this gloomy and cold weather. This is also the season I’m binge cooking soups, one-pots and stews to make it even cozier at home. And this creamy lentil daal has definitely been one of my go-to recipes right now.
Super easy and also a dump-all-the-ingredients-into-one-pot type of recipe. And let’s be honest, currys are just the best! Also, you can totally switch out the carrot for any other veggies like peas or green beans. And did you know, lentils are a fantastic source of proteins? Especially for vegans! 100g of lentils contain 25g of protein! (uncooked) Okay, I think we all got how fantastic this meal is, so let’s get to it!
Click here to watch the video recipe on our Instagram
- 1 onion
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 2 medium carrots
- 1 walnut sized piece of ginger
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp paprika powder
- 1/2 ground coriander
- 400g lentils (rinse and then soak for 1-2 hours)
- 400ml vegetable stock
- 400ml coconut milk
- Dice the onion and carrot into small cubes. Mince the garlic and ginger.
- Heat up a pot on medium heat with some olive oil and add the onions. Once the onions are slightly translucent, add the garlic and minced ginger. Let it cook for 1-2min and then add the carrots for 1-2min.
- Now add all the spices and stir well. If it all gets a little too dry, add a splash of water. Next add the coconut milk, stock and soaked and rinsed lentils. Season with salt and pepper. Cook until the lentils are done, about 15-20min.
- Serve hot with some cooked rice. Store leftover daal in the freezer for those lazy or busy night (it will be just as good, or even better!).
Hope you guys give this recipe a try! Leave me your thoughts and comments below! Happy cooking!