I hope you are all doing well. One afternoon I impulsively thought: Since I’m mostly unhappy with the store-bought bread, or bread from bakeries, (Even though Germany is known for its fantastic bread) I’m going to bake my own. With no bread baking experience I looked up a recipe and made my kitchen into a mess. But it was all worth it! It was fantastic! Not only did my small apartment smell deliciously like a bakery, I also felt like: If I can bake my own bread, I can take on the word! From then on, I became obsessed with baking bread! Now I have tweaked the recipe of my very first bread to make it even better! I highly recommend baking this bread, It is very simple and delicious!
You can easily adapt the amount of rosemary and walnut to your own liking. I love the taste of rosemary so I added quite a lot. However if you prefer more of a neutral taste, add less, or eliminate the rosemary completely. Also if you don’t wish to use rye flour, replace it with white flour.
- 125g rye flour
- 375g strong white flour and extra for kneading
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 7g fast action yeast
- 4 tsp olive oil
- 300ml warm water
- 200g crushed walnuts
- 2 tbsp rosemary
- Mix the flour, salt, sugar and yeast in a large bowl. Make a well in the middle and pour in the oil and 300ml of warm water and start kneading. If the dough seems to stif, aff 1-2 tbsp of water.
- Once a dough has formed, place it onto a lightly floured surface. Knead for 10-15min, working in as much flour as possible.
- When a smooth and elastic dough has formed, place it in a lightly oiled bowl and cover it with a damp kitchen towel for 2 hours or until the dough has doubled in size.
- Punch down the dough and add the rosemary and walnuts and knead until evenly distributed.
- Mould it into the desired shape and place it on a lined baking tray for a nother hour or until doubled in size.
- Preaheat the oven to 200°c fan. Dust the loaf with flour and cut diagonal slashes into the top, or some other fancy design.
- Bake for 25-30min until golden brown. The loaf should sound hollow, when tapped on the bottom. Let it cool on a rack before serving.